PDA

View Full Version : Ramshorn Color Morphs

Faded Glory
04-14-2014, 04:18 PM
I bought a plant from my lfs and soon discovered that I had a new buddy. Since that day, I've seen a lot of variety in the colors of my ramshorn that have been appearing. After doing a bit of research, it appears that there are even more colors possible than what I have in my tank (brown, leopard, golden, nearly-black, and an almost silver). I see blues and pink/reds for sale all over the place, but generally nothing more exotic.

I'm interested in finding out what colors you have. I've heard of yellows, whites, greens, and true blacks but can't find anyone that has them, much less that wants to sell me some. I'd like to get some of these more exotic colors to help me with my color morph project.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or donations of new genetic material (I'm willing to pay of course) would be greatly appreciated.

beth
04-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Although they may appear yellow, white and green, those snails are dying.

There aren't many variables. Either the shell has an light golden to brown tint or no color. The body may be albino and all you see in the body is the color from the blood. Or it may have various intensities of brown pigment. Sometimes the dark bodied ones can have light, few or no spots. That's it. How those characteristics combine is what creates the different appearances.

One pink ramshorn and one leopard ramshorn can produce ALL the colors eventually, they contain all the variables.

wicca25
04-14-2014, 05:46 PM
i have clear with leopard spots in some of my tanks and some red rams that have changed to carrot orange color bodies instead of red. some of the names are shell colors and some are body colors. most of the red rams have gold/amber colored shells

sumthinsfishie
04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
A white bodied ram most likely is anemic (lack of iron in the blood). I had 2 pink (albinos) which died from anemia. Stay away from white!:boxed:

Faded Glory
04-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Part of what I was wondering was if the 'whites' that I have heard of are color morphs off of the common browns or were instead Gyraulus albus (common name : White Ramshorn).

beth
04-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Those are a very small pest snail which no one raises on purpose. While alive they aren't white.

People see sick and dying ramshorns which are a weird *new* color but they do not realize that it will be dead in a week. White, yellow and green bodies are not viable.

These are all the possible combinations.

albino body + clear shell = pink
albino body = amber shell = red
dark body w/ spots + clear shell = blue
dark body w/o spots + clear shell = purple
dark body w/ spots + amber shell = leopard
dark body w/o spots + amber shell = gold

There are occasionally extremely dark leopards, very dark body, very dark brown shell, it's the wild coloring. They look sorta blackish but not really in a good way.

Pinks raised in low oxygen warm water can be more like light red. Reds raised in high oxygen water can be more like orange. The amber shell can be pale or deeply colored. There are variations within a color but it doesn't make it a new color.

wicca25
04-15-2014, 05:06 PM
or i would like to add a whiteish body could just be a young snail. when my clear spotted shell was little it had a milky white body and orange mouth. as it aged the body did get darker. i know its the same snail due to the markings on the shell and it has a pinkish strip on the inside of the shell

sumthinsfishie
04-17-2014, 06:16 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a whitish body ram that was healthy (baby or adult). Usually they ended up dying or had anemia, just my experience with rams. I don't think a milky white color is healthy in any ram but I don't know as I'm more of a mystery snail (Pomacea Diffusa) expert. LOL.

I'm sure Beth can tell you.

PS- she has awesome rams!! :D