PDA

View Full Version : More than you ever wanted to know about brine shrimp

ziouxpioux
05-08-2016, 05:51 AM
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/W3732E/w3732e00.htm

tpetsfl
05-08-2016, 06:06 AM
Thanks for posting this.

Years ago, I went to a three day program at Harbor Branch Institute near Sebastion to learn how to do micro foods, rotifers, brine shrimp, grow micro algae, etc. I was breeding neon tetras at the time and was exploring food options. I had already been hatching brine shrimp daily and after that weekend I realized how little I really knew about them. After that I went on my own journey about learning the ins and outs of rotifer and brine shrimp culture and realized in the end it was like so many things in our hobby,,,there are zillions of ways to achieve the end result,,,,getting a nutritious morsel in a small mouth.

Thank you again, I've lost most of my notes from then and this is a good document. Will save it and comb through it.

Bill

ziouxpioux
05-08-2016, 06:56 AM
Thanks for posting this.

Years ago, I went to a three day program at Harbor Branch Institute near Sebastion to learn how to do micro foods, rotifers, brine shrimp, grow micro algae, etc. I was breeding neon tetras at the time and was exploring food options. I had already been hatching brine shrimp daily and after that weekend I realized how little I really knew about them. After that I went on my own journey about learning the ins and outs of rotifer and brine shrimp culture and realized in the end it was like so many things in our hobby,,,there are zillions of ways to achieve the end result,,,,getting a nutritious morsel in a small mouth.

Thank you again, I've lost most of my notes from then and this is a good document. Will save it and comb through it.

BillYour welcome, I was looking for how long nauplii would live in a saltwater tank.

tpetsfl
05-08-2016, 06:59 AM
They will last days before they finally starve to death. They'll last as long as 12 hours sometimes in a freshwater tank before they succomb.

I hatch mine out twice a day and use them immediately. They are great when they hatch but if they aren't being fed then they quickly lose food value.

Bill

ziouxpioux
05-08-2016, 07:48 AM
They will last days before they finally starve to death. They'll last as long as 12 hours sometimes in a freshwater tank before they succomb.

I hatch mine out twice a day and use them immediately. They are great when they hatch but if they aren't being fed then they quickly lose food value.

Bill
Thanx.

fishguy_1955
05-11-2016, 10:10 PM
I throw a pinch of baker's yeast into any hatch bottle I am not going to use at 24 hours. Do this once a day and the nauplii can last several days. I have a 30 gal on the back porch that I put extra BBS and used hatch water in. I feed it with baker's yeast and fine ground spirulina every other day. This video is of one net pass in the artemia tank and one in the daphnia tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8aZJkfqRm8

ziouxpioux
05-12-2016, 01:55 AM
did you think of the yeast feeding your self or read it somewhere. Spirulina I understand. Good info.

fishguy_1955
05-12-2016, 11:11 AM
I learned about yeast year's ago from an old school pro named Doug Sweet who was curator of the Belle Isle Aquarium back when Detroit was habitable. He used it as Daphnia feed, and I figured if good for Daphnia, then why not Artemia?

ziouxpioux
05-12-2016, 02:20 PM
I learned about yeast year's ago from an old school pro named Doug Sweet who was curator of the Belle Isle Aquarium back when Detroit was habitable. He used it as Daphnia feed, and I figured if good for Daphnia, then why not Artemia?And this is the first I have heard about it?! Where have I been?? Hiding in Swampy's back lot?

fishguy_1955
05-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Whatever you do back there, DON'T mess with his chickens!!

ziouxpioux
05-12-2016, 07:10 PM

As long as he pens them up at night, they are safe

dsblackwell1
05-12-2016, 10:04 PM

Is that the ones you don't feed after midnight?

tpetsfl
05-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Take a mason jar or similar container. Fill it with the same salt water you'd hatch your shrimp in. Set it outside in the full sun for a few days. It will turn green with suspended algae. When you hatch brine shrimp just add this green water to their tank and it will feed them. Micro algae is the way to keep the shrimp alive and healthy.

Bill

ziouxpioux
05-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Take a mason jar or similar container. Fill it with the same salt water you'd hatch your shrimp in. Set it outside in the full sun for a few days. It will turn green with suspended algae. When you hatch brine shrimp just add this green water to their tank and it will feed them. Micro algae is the way to keep the shrimp alive and healthy.

Bill:)

ziouxpioux
05-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Is that the ones you don't feed after midnight?Maybe Swampy's are mine aren't and only a crazy fool feeds their chicken after midnight anyhow, LOL