PDA

View Full Version : Are Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata) ...

Yeahbut
04-09-2017, 11:10 AM
... of any value to hobbyists?
I made mistake of ordering hornwort from place I get my frozen food.

This has resulted in almost two years of
massive overhauls of Swamp Tank to clear them out.

I really hate interrupting these little critters and fishes
tranquil little world with mass movement of water and their stuff.

When an enforcer from one of the Gary,IN street gangs
doing a 60 year bit in maximum security prison for a double murder said,
"Damn Searle! Your like a bull in a china shop."
He nailed it.

Anyway, I know their shells are too hard to feed to puffers.

I was just wondering if they're worth saving.
Thanks

tpetsfl
04-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Benefits. They will aerate the substrate. They provide baby snails which many fish eat,,,Pygmy Sunfish will eat baby snails. They promote micro life,,,infusoria,,,,probably other benefits that I cannot think of.

Bad things,,,,no place for snails in any tank you are hoping to breed egglayers in. They eat eggs. Trumpet snails breed like mad and this is increases the bioload in small tanks especially. They poop.

It's easy to just pick out the adults,,,or trap them,,,,or whatever. I think snails get vilified a lot,,,but I don't like them because of the egg eating quality alone.

Bill

Yeahbut
04-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks Bill,

I use a little 2 inch net to scoop these up and it's a pain in the ass!
Because even in a net that small I have to sort through to chase 3-4 tiny
Dwarf Cajun Crays about the same size as the snails out of the net back in the tank~:laugh:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/ButYeah/Little%20Tank/IMG_7406_zpsxla2woz0.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/ButYeah/Little%20Tank/IMG_7407_zpsw4poo6tc.jpg

kush
05-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Malayasian trumpet snails are hands-down the greatest scavenger ever. They keep my tanks sparkly-clean by eating every single cell of algae that attempts to grow. Downside, as mentioned, you will not breed egg-laying fish in any tank with MTS and, once you have them, you can never change your mind and comletely get rid of them.

My approach to controlling their population is to turn out the lights for fifteen minutes then come back with a five-gallon bucket and a suction hose and just hoover them off the glass. I throw them out on the compost pile and listen to the skunks and racoons go crazy trying to figure out where that smell is coming from.